July 1, 2009

Up Up and away

So today I went to see the new Disney Pixar movie UP, as movies go it was pretty good the 3D made my eyes hurt, but what I found interesting about the movie was in the beginning there's a montage of the main character's (Carl) life with his wife Ellie and at one point their sittining on this hill when they deciced they want a baby, they get the nursery all set up but in the next scene of the montage their in a doctors office and the doctor is telling them that that they can't have a baby and Ellie is crying but everything gets a little better until the end of the montage when Ellie dies and Carl is left by himself and now I have to stop writing otherwise I'll spoil the whole movie but it points to an interesting and increasing trend in disney movies, the use of real life situations instead of "look how happy and perfect and shiny we all are" movies, a couple of good examples of this trend are shown in movies such as finding nemo where the marlins wife and and most of his children (still in eggs at the time) get eaten by a baracuda and he has problems letting is son only grow up and live his life, or in Lilo and Stitch where the parents are dead and it's just Lilo and her older sister Lani whose trying to juggle a full time job as well as raising her little sister and then has an alien thrown into the mix and stitch's line at the end "this is my family it's little, and broken but still good, yeah still good", these are good examples of the less happy shiny version of disney that is starting to emerge and all I can say is I like this disney better. that's all for now more later

2 comments:

  1. I may joke that "I laughed, I cried" but really I was impressed by their clear use of metaphor. This was a great movie

    ReplyDelete